Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Architecture gem

After a couple of months of forced inactivity I can now pick up blogging again. What better way to start again by writing about two of my favorite subjects:
  • Architecture and its practioners, and
  • Government IT.
Since I studied public administration back in the days, I occasionally read the magazines that are typically read by former public administration students. I came across an issue of "Digitaal Bestuur" (digital administration), of which the theme is "Government and ICT". This issue had an article by a lead architect (!) from a government body, with the illustruous title "IT is difficult. IT within government is extra difficult". Fascinated by this title, I started reading and came across the following excerpt:
"It is getting more and more difficult to control the increasing complexity of IT. Computers have become 1000 to 1500 times more powerful in the past 15 years, as a result the systems have become 1000 to 1500 times more complex, and to make matters worse computers nowadays all communicate with each other through networks."
After I had read the above excerpt 5 times (I really wanted to make sure that I really read what I thought I was reading), I finally understood why governments are struggling so badly with IT and why architects are still having trouble to get accepted or even taken seriously by other IT and enterprise disciplines.

No comments:

Post a Comment